Elizabeth, B&B host of Castleview Farmouse has kindly shared a recipe for a fat free breakfast loaf that she likes to bake for her guests. It’s an easy to prepare, healthy breakfast option, that tastes really delicious served with sliced bananas!
225g/8oz Coarse Wholemeal Flour
300ml/1/2 Pint of Warm Tea
375g Packet of Fruit Mix
175g/6oz Soft Brown Sugar
2 eggs (beaten)
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Mixed Spice
1. Preheat Oven to 180 C /350 F /gas 4. Lightly grease and base line a 2 lb loaf tin.
2. Place the tea in a mixing bowl and add the fruit. Allow to soak for about 3 hours or overnight.
3. Mix in the sugar and eggs. Finally, stir in the flour, baking powder and mixed spice. Combine well.
4. Transfer to the prepared tin and bake for about 45 minutes until firm to the touch and and a knife comes out clean. Remove from oven and leave in tin for 5 minutes, then remove from tin and cool on a wire tray.
5. Serve warm or cold. Delicious with sliced bananas.
An Irish farmhouse holiday is the perfect way to get back to nature and enjoy Ireland’s beautiful countryside locations. Choose a farmstay for an authentic B&B experience.